Warranty Direct uses site performance, anonymous analytical and targeting advertising cookies on this site. By accepting, you are agreeing to the use of these cookies. See our cookie policy for more information and how to block them if you wish. Blocking cookies may mean you experience reduced functionality.


Tuesday 28 March 2017

| Subscribe


When can I buy GAP Cover Insurance from you?

You can buy GAP Cover Insurance at any time for cars under 10 years old and with less than 120,000 recorded miles. It will also need to meet the eligibility criteria of our insurance options below.

  • Vehicle Replacement cover is available for new cars under 3 months old and with less than 1000 recorded miles.
  • Return to Invoice cover is available for new or used cars valued up to £125,000 and that have been bought from a dealer within the last 3 months.
  • Return to Value cover is available for cars valued under £50,000 that are bought privately or from a dealership and have been owned for more than 3 months.
  • Why do you ask how long I have owned my car for when I request a quote?

    This is because, if you bought your car from a dealer and have owned it for 3 months or less, we can offer you a higher level of cover (either Vehicle Replacement cover, if your car was new when purchased and has under 1000 recorded miles now, or Return to Invoice cover).

    I bought my car from a private individual, can I still buy GAP Cover Insurance?

    You can still buy Return to Value cover from us if your car was bought privately.

    I own the car but am not the main user on the motor insurance policy, can I still buy GAP Cover Insurance?

    The registered owner or keeper needs to be the applicant for the GAP Cover Insurance policy.

    What is the maximum value of car you can accept on cover?

    Cars valued up to £125,000 can be covered. Please note that we can only cover cars up to £50,000 on our Return to Value GAP Cover Insurance.

    What is the claim limit for GAP Cover Insurance?

    This can be whatever you select between £5,000 and £50,000.

    What sort of motor insurance cover should I have in order to be eligible to claim under GAP Cover Insurance?

    Comprehensive Motor Insurance is required.

    What are the main exclusions of the cover?
    • No benefit is payable if your vehicle is written off due to an accident where the driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs or where the vehicle is being used for pacemaking, speed testing, or other competitive event or for hire & reward.
    • No benefit is payable if the vehicle is written off outside of the UK, the Isle of Man or the European Union.
    • Gap Cover Insurance is not available for motorbikes or electric vehicles.
    A "total loss" settlement needs to be made by my motor insurer in order for me to claim under GAP Cover Insurance, what is a "total loss"?

    In general, your car will be declared a "total loss" (or "write off") by your comprehensive motor insurer if it cannot be repaired to its pre-accident condition, or if the cost of this repair equals or exceeds a percentage of the current value of the car. Also, in the event your car is stolen and not recovered.

    What is the cooling off period?

    There is a 14 day cooling off period during which, if you decide you do not want the cover, you will receive a full refund of any premium you have paid (provided no claim has been made). This 14 day period will run from the start date of cover or the date you receive your policy documents, whichever is the later. If you cancel outside this cooling off period, a pro-rata refund will be made subject to an administration charge of fifty pounds. If you have made a claim before you cancel, no refund of premium will be returned.

    Get a Quote